Thursday, October 22, 2009

In Search of Natural Entropy...


So, with one of the last few naturally occurring entropic days of the year I decided to take advantage and "tack weld" the boat together using the "fast" hardener in my epoxy mix rather than the "slow" hardener I had been using until now. First off, the faster stuff is awesome. Granted it is slightly more manageable due to lower temps but I like knowing that my chemical reactions are occurring at a pace where I can see the immediate results. (Patience has never been a strong suit of mine) The other reason I like it so much is that it is slightly more reliable at the lower ambient temperatures I will sadly be experiencing over the next 6 months. I am hoping this will not have a catastrophic effect upon completion of the boat. Thoughts? I have included a pic below that shows the entire lower hull assembled and ready for filleting. I have already done the tack welding step and will complete the fillets over the weekend. I'll be honest, I am absolutely petrified of removing the wire stitches tomorrow once the tack welds have cured. I keep having the horrific reoccurring waking dream where the entire boat and all it's seams pop apart just as the last wire stitch is removed. I made sure the fillets at the bow were extra wide just to assuage any fears of mine. They have not been assuaged as of yet.
On a more personal note, I am thinking of getting a puppy. I'm leaning towards a beagle but I'm still torn over whether or not I will have enough time to properly care for it. The biggest reason I want one is so I can have a companion while sailing and just in general. My friends that live around here don't really give a shit, and frankly a dog will be about a 1000 times more loyal than a girl. I could make a witty comment now about how women and entropy could be equated but I will save that for a night when I'm feeling a little more bitter... Chicks blow...
Now... back to my delicious Chocolate Stout!

2 comments:

  1. Adam,
    Just because no one is leaving comments doesn't mean people are not reading your blog. I put a sitemeter on my Pocketship blog and was surprised how many people a day were visiting. Good luck on your build, I thoroughly enjoyed my first boat building experience and it was a real thrill to actually see what I had built floating on the water.

    Dave C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I spent quite a bit of time reading your blog earlier in the summer and it has been very valuable in learning tips and tricks that work well.

    ReplyDelete

Visits

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

Visitors