Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Have a Big Deck... (ok, it's not that big)


In case no one has noticed I am wholeheartedly amused by inappropriate sexual innuendo. Deal with it. As you may or may not have been able to guess, I have been fitting the interior deck of the boat over the holiday weekend. I purchased some extremely expensive lacewood a week or so ago and realized upon returning home that a large portion of it was unusable either due to cracks or warping in the wood. However I devised a crude and dangerous yet effective method of putting a straight edge on the wood thereby allowing the decking to look somewhat professional.
The key is to start with a similar length of wood that you already know has a straight edge on it and run it along with the warped wood through the table saw using the straight edge against the fence of the table saw. Clamp the rear of the two pieces of wood together until just before you hit the table and you're good to go. Just don't stand directly behind the pieces of wood as you rip them through the saw. The blade can and will shoot them back directly at your groin if you aren't careful. Thankfully I do not speak from experience here, I just know better. This whole operation is much easier to do without the safety guard and pawls on the table saw by the way. In fact, I hate the safety guard altogether. Just pay extra attention while using your saw if you have no safety measures. Girls don't like guys with no fingers. (However guys like girls with no arms apparently.... She has no arms! Long story...)

So upon finishing the sanding of the interior of the boat (and experiencing early symptoms of Carpal Tunnel due to using my sander for so long) I painted the interior of the boat with 2 coats of primer this week and began fitting the floorboards. They looked pretty crude and unexciting at first until I used the router to put a nice rounded edge on them. I must say that a router is the coolest tool I think I own. It can make such a difference between a professional and an amateur job with a bare minimum of effort. Take a look at the pictures of the floorboards that have been fitted so far...





You'll notice the two breakout sections on either side of the centerboard trunk, they are access ports to access the bilge and either store extra gear and/or ballast. I'm thinking of adding another smaller one towards the aft. Mainly because this seems like a great spot to store potable water on longer journeys should I ever feel the need to take one ;)
I'm also having my roommate design a power supply system for the boat so I won't have to worry about plugging in and charging a battery on shore. But that will come later...

Cheerio...

Still Thirsty...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

Visitors