Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Those Who Understand History, Are Condemned to Watch Other Idiots Repeat It"



Therefore, I officially label myself an idiot. I am absolutely no good at judging how much epoxy to use at a given instance, especially in hot weather. See... epoxy is a funny material, it acts in the exact opposite way you would think a strong adhesive would act. Most glues when spread thin tend to dry quicker than if they were a solid blob of goo. Epoxy reacts in the exact opposite manor. A big thick mass (as in a mixing cup) will actually cure much more rapidly than a thin film spread across a large surface area. Oh, and when it's a thick mass it generates lots of heat. You can see what happened to my mixing cup in the above photo. Apparently thickened epoxy doesn't agree with polyethylene. On a more progressive note, all the pieces for the keel are now cut out. I would have epoxied more pieces together today but I ran out of clamps. I need more clamps. Lots more. Oh well, it will be a fairly simple thing to do after work during the week. I also hope to get the centerboard shaped and the full keel assembled and ready for the lead pours next weekend. Hopefully I'll have pictures that actually look like they came from a real boat soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

Visitors